Saturday, May 24, 2008

Imaginary friends and the Chronicles of Narnia

So we have finally had a visit from a real imaginary friend. I distinguish real because our previous imaginary friends are members of the Scooby Doo gang or the Pevensies from the Chronicles of Narnia (everyone but Susan because that is Whitney). This past week we had our first non syndicated imaginary friend. Three monster friends accompanied us on our trip to Sam's Club. Normally I only have one kid out of the cart so we were lucky that everyone was on their best behavior. We did almost forget one of them but at the last minute he made it into the car. Phew, I would hate to leave behind our first imaginary imaginary friend. The monster friends have not returned yet. They were so well behaved last time that I think I prefer them to Scooby who is always a little too rambunctious and makes big messes.

This last week Whitney had a Narnia Festival at the theater with her preschool. She was so excited when she learned that she would be able to dress up. Grandma to the rescue and a few days later Whitney had a Susan dress and her very own bow and arrow. She was so excited that she had to wear her dress and shoot the arrow at everything. I caught her downstairs shooting her dad's bear rug (and actually hitting it). The party was a huge success. She made a sword, shot a real bow and arrow, and visited with Aslan.

So Whitney was definitely more shiny but she loved the dress and it turned out great. The only thing we didn't have was a quiver for her arrows. I couldn't find one so if anyone has any ideas let us know so we can be prepared for Halloween.

Thank you Jana and Joan for putting on such a fun party and thanks Mom for making Whitney feel like she really was Susan.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

Ideas for a quiver....
A paper towel tube.(although that might be too narrow for those large headed arrows of hers)
An empty can of rolled oats.(but that might be too big to keep them all in.
A poster board rolled to the desired diameter. (probably the best choice)

A rope, or ribbon to glue to the quiver to drape over her arm.
And then paint to your hearts content. (or rather your mom's, since she's good at that! Whitney's costume looks amazing! What a fantastic job. Please pass the kudos on.)

Alisha said...

I want to go to a Narnia party. Do you think your mom will make me a costume too? Alisha

Jessica and Tom said...

thanks for the ideas. And yes although she complains about making me costumes she secretly loves doing it because she likes the end result and all of the compliments.