Whitney had a friend over yesterday for a couple of hours to play. They were making a huge mess. I was cleaning in the other room when I saw Remy and Whitney pushing the shopping cart filled to the top with Whitney's clothes down the hall. Apparently they were shopping and the check out was in the living room. They were having such a good time (and leaving me alone) that I just reminded them that they would have to clean up the mess when they were done, both agreed.
Fast forward two hours later, the living room was a disaster and two little girls were outside playing on the swing set. I had told them three times to come in and clean and they both ignored me, so I started counting. Whitney was sitting on one side of the bench swing and Remy was standing in the middle making it go. The following is a reenactment.
Me: 1.... (Remy and Whitney look at me unconcerned and Remy makes them go higher)
2... (Remy keeps going, Whitney starting to look concerned)
What happens at your house when your mom gets to three Remy?
Remy: My mom don't matter! (keeps swing, fear growing on Whitney's face)
Me: Your mom does too matter, what happens at 3?
Simultaneously:
Remy: My mom don't matter! (keeps swinging higher and higher)
Whitney: (freaking out) Remy stop! I don't want three! I don't want three!
After further pleading on Whitney's part, Remy stopped and she raced inside! It took a little while for Remy to decide she was going to help too, but they did both clean up the mess (well, they relocated it to Whitney's room). Come to find out at Remy's house 3 means soap in the mouth. Clever girl. If I don't tell her, I can't be punished the way I hate. Now that I know we may get cleaned up a little faster next time, as long as her reaction is a little more Whitneyesque. (I don't think I will tell her that I would never enforce a 3 punishment on someone else's kid, it would ruin the entire purpose of counting.)
4 comments:
How funny! 3 here is something exciting. when the boys are/were little i would count to three and on three would throw them in the air, tickle them, or even chase them. When i tried to use 3 as a discipline, they looked at me like i was nuts and start laughing/ running away probably thinking that i was going to play. Don't be surprised if that's what they do if we come to visit.
That is freaking FUNNY!!! I can just see whitney's face turning from fun to panic! That's just to funny!!!
Ha! This made me laugh. I love Remy saying her mom don't matter. I'm going to start saying that too.
Ahh, discipline. Genevieve now understands No but I can't imagine what it will be like to actually discipline her when she understands.
Post a Comment