Friday, June 13, 2008

Foreshadowing- a natural phenomenon

I used to think that foreshadowing was only something that happened in literature but I learned today that it is indeed a natural phenomenon. This morning at breakfast Whitney asked me what I dreamt about last night. It just so happened that in my dream I saw an old blue van driving out of my drive way. When I looked at it I could see in the back Whitney's suitcase and her backyardigan's book. They had stolen it. Immediately upon relating this story Whitney went to make sure that her backyardigan's book was still here. (For those of you wondering it was). Well according to my dream interpretation book stealing or seeing someone else steal is a sign of loss of character. Fast forward a few hours later. I had just finished loading up the groceries in the car when I moved Ryan's car seat from the cart to find the eggs still sitting there where I put them to keep them safe. I realized that I had not given them to the cashier. Now I will admit that the thought crossed my mind: the kids were loaded in the car, the groceries were in the car and I was out of the store with the eggs, it would be so easy to just put them in and drive away. But then I had another thought. I remembered some talk about some person putting money in the pop machine because they got two pops instead of one. I remember at the time thinking that was ridiculous (I still think that particular incident is ridiculous) but this was different. This was me walking out of a store with something I did not pay for, so I took it for what it was (a good teaching opportunity) and put the kids back in the cart to stand in line again to pay $2.12 for the almost stolen eggs. Lucky for me my character stayed intact and my frozen food was still frozen when I got back outside to my car.

1 comment:

Alisha said...

I am glad to see that you haven't lost your character and even though Ryan or Whitney didn't appreciate the lesson on honesty - Way to go!