Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Warehouse Bouncers

There is only one place that I go that I get carded and it drives me nuts each time. If this carding had anything to do with me looking younger than I actually am I might be pleased by it, but it doesn't. The carding I speak of is one of the irritating things I find about warehouse stores. I have long been irritated by the bouncer at the front and the guard checking your receipt when you leave. Now I am sure that this cuts down on the shoplifting problem, however, it still gets under my skin. Since you have to show the cashier your card, what is the point of the bouncer at the front door. Especially since the bouncer is usually a small old lady. She really can't stop someone that wants to get in from getting in. And you have to go into the store to get a card to get into the store. Seems a bit strange. The bouncer doesn't look at your name or picture and I bet if I had a blue piece of plastic that was a similar shape I could get by with it. Note to self, try this. I have long since taken it upon myself to prove that this is a pointless practice. It is my goal to get out without having my receipt marked. I have done this many times and today was just such a day. My mom stopped by and was on her way to the store so I joined her. We each purchased the things we needed and walked to the door. After a brief scan of her items the woman guarding the door (also a small old lady) marked the receipt and we walked out. My receipt stayed with me without a second glance from this lady. Now, I would like to point out the large size of the things you buy at warehouse stores and that certain items stand out ie. a big box of diapers or a really large bag of frozen fruit. My mom had 7 items and I had 1 and although they were in the same cart my big item was not on her receipt and was the closest thing to said guard. There is a small part of me that feels satisfied by getting out with out a marked receipt. And though I am not proving anything to anyone, I still feel a small sense of satisfaction each time I get out without a mark on my receipt because I know that the guard serves only as a deterrent for those uncreative thieves. At least there is the detector after the receipt guard to provide a second layer of protection.

3 comments:

...for all eternity said...

You go girl! This should be a new secret underground sport. I'll try it here!

Audrey said...

Oh! I fully agree with you! Especially when there is a long line, to check receipts, to get OUT of the place! Plus all they do is draw a smiley face on it anyways. As if you say, "HA! you just had to wait in line with 3 screaming boys so that I could draw this cute little face on your receipt. Now have a nice day!" >:o(

carol said...

Ah! Sweet Victory to you! I have always been tempted to steal something there. and only there. I am pretty honest everywhere else, but Sam's Club just beckons to me to try to get away with it. Must be the inner anti-authority person in me. I am glad you got out with no slash on your receipt. Maybe that will curb my urge to perpetrate a misdemeanor.