Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Hannah Montana and NKOTB

Whitney and I went to see the Hannah Montana movie and we absolutely loved it! I will admit that it is not just Whitney that is a fan. I enjoyed the movie and the tv series. I love that Whit can watch a show that makes her feel grown up without having her grow up! It is a good combination for both of us. I get the best of both worlds!! The film has some great songs in it so today I purchased my first digital album. We have listened to it once through and then picked out our favorite songs and listened to them over and over. Whit and I are learning the hoedown throw down to perform at a later date! I know you are all excited to see it! I can't guarantee a post. It may only be for live enjoyment. (Just incase I ever decide to run for president I can't have things like that posted on the internet!)


I purchased this album for two reasons:
1. We liked the music
2.I didn't want Whitney to be like me.

As a kid I listened to what my parents listened to. Since my parents grew up in the 60's and 70's I listened to the Beatles, the Mamas and Papas, ABBA, Rolling Stones, and many more of the classic artists. It wasn't until the 4th grade that I was awakened to the fact that a new era of music had started (and was almost over). I remember clearly when Diane Clements walked into school wearing a shirt with a picture of a rock band I knew not. I still don't know the rock band, but I realized that day that there were more radio stations then the classic oldies 94.9. I entered the pop culture scene with New Kids on the Block. I was a big fan. I felt a special connection to Joey (the Justin Timberlake of the 1st ever boy band) because we had the same birthday. I did everything a fan was supposed to do, buy a t-shirt, watch the concert on TV, and I am sure that if we would have had the internet I would have visited their fan site. But like all good things the band came to a tragic end. I actually don't remember the break up because like all good fans I had moved on to other things like Debbie Gibson. In retrospect I can say thank you to my parents for letting me go through the 80s without experiencing the music. I didn't miss much. But I will forever be grateful for Diane. If she hadn't worn that shirt to school I would have entered junior high with a very outdated sense of what was cool!!

So here's to keeping you cool Whitney. Maybe some day you can be the Diane in someones life.

3 comments:

carol said...

FEAR NOT!!! New Kids are back together, baby! And touring. http://www.nkotb.com/ i will include this handy link to their website for you. Unlike you, my older brothers and sister indoctrinated me into the music and hair of the 80's. I had a wave so high in my bangs...I know all the other 2nd graders wept with jealousy the days my sister did my hair. :)

And thanks for the tip on Hanna Montana. Lindy has watched a couple of episodes, but I haven't watched any with her. I'm going to get right on that!

Alisha said...

I would attend a hoe down with you and Whitney as the stars. Have you already picked out your microphones?

Audrey said...

Totally a cool thing to do, especially when you sing the songs with her. She'll definitely remember this and you'll be one more year 'further' away from succumbing(sp?) to the "house dresses" and all day slippers while yelling at the "youngsters" to TURN IT DOWN!

;o)