As I was listening to the radio the other day, I realized that we have a problem on our hands. This problem has been around since 2000 but the ugly truth of it is about to come forth. For the last century we have enjoyed a variety of music with each decade having had a specific genre as well as a decade classification. When you think of the 50's you think Elvis, 60's the Beatles, 70's the Bee Gees, 80's (I don't actually know this one see below post), 90's Nirvana. The challenge we have is what do we call the first decade of the new century?
The radio stations have had this problem since 1/1/00. We went from the "classic rock hits of the 70's, 80's, and 90's" to "your hit music from the 80's, 90's, and NOW". It seems natural to say "today" or "now" in the beginning of a decade, but once we got to 97, 98, and 99 we were talking about the 90's. So here we are in 2009 and we are still calling it "NOW"!! Do you see the problem?
"NOW" has worked okay for the last 9 1/2 years but we are quickly coming to the end of NOW and it is high time we give this last decade a classification. Otherwise we will hear the DJs saying something ridiculous like, "your classic rock from the 90's, now, and now now" or maybe they will choose "the 90's, now, and today". Neither of these really roll off the tongue. Do we remain with decade classification or do we have to come up with something different? What do you even call the first decade of a new century? I haven't been able to come up with any feasible solutions to this problem so I am appealing to you for help. What should we do?
6 comments:
"your music from yesterday,today & tomorrow"
So, the first thing that popped into my head was that line from The Music Man where Prof. Hill tells Marion that he graduated in 'aught-five' meaning 1905. So, the 'aughts'.
And guess what? I'm totally backed up by Wikipedia! Of course I giggled a bit at the idea of calling them the 'naughties'!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000%27s
Nothing on the next decade though....maybe the teens? Let's try it on for size...
..."back in the teens..."
..."part of the culture during the teens..."
Hmmm, I like it. What do you think? Feel free to use it in your next blog post!
Very good question. But, sorry, I got nothing.
I guess if you called it two-thousands, that would be too broad. I'm sorry this is weighing you down so much. Don't worry. I'm sure they'll figure it out.
The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything
After putting such a deep and soul searching question into Google, the answer came back... "41." Apparently, this kind of question ranks right up there w/ The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Jess, would you please hurry and figure this out. World hunger is waiting.
Ok... after much profound brain things in side my head, I decided to ask google again (apparently asking again is a key ingredient) and the urban dictionary brings up the following definition:
Aughts
Nickname for the decade between 2000 and 2010.
The Nineties were lame; I hope the Aughts are more interesting.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Aughts
So the prize goes to Rivka. I'm going to have to side w/ Rivka on the "nAugties" which would actually be called the "nAughts".Which really takes the kinky out of it. But, what would I know? I wasn't raised "kinky".
So... w/ that problem resolved, can we get back to the world hunger problem?
Post a Comment