Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hi my name is Jessica and I am a pansie.

I believe the first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem. So I will admit that I am a pansie. Friday Tom and Angela left with the kids to SLC to run a race with Audrey and Dad. I stayed behind. I thoroughly enjoyed my Friday afternoon all by myself. The trouble didn't start until about 1am. Normally when Tom is gone I just stay awake until I can't anymore and then fall asleep from exhaustion. Because I had to be up early I tried to go to sleep much sooner than usual. (Usual for him being gone not usual for my bed time.)

There is something about being alone in the dark that freaks me out. I swear my house has never sounded so creepy before. I shut and locked my bedroom door and then every 30 seconds I would hear a thud. This was knew so naturally I was spooked. I can't decide if it was the extra noise or the fact that before Tom left he told me he loaded the gun in the drawer or that I kept thinking of every scary story I had ever heard about people getting their homes broken into while they were in them. Most likely a combination of all three. You would have thought that I had spent my evening watching scary movies when in fact I was watching Pride and Prejudice. I know I am a rebel, my family leaves and I watch long girl movies and eat broccoli.

Needless to say at 1 am I couldn't take it anymore. My kids were not here, I did not have to be brave for anyone. So I went over to my parents and promptly fell asleep. There is just something about having someone else in the house that makes me more comfortable. Thanks Dad for waking up to unlock the door for me!

The following day I shut my door to my room and heard the same noise. It wasn't so freaky with the sun out! Just very annoying. We don't normally shut our door all of the way because I want to hear the kids if they need me in the night so I normally leave it ajar thus the fact that this was a new noise. I now know not to freak out over it.

Tom will you please fix the door before you leave again?

4 comments:

Audrey said...

I have been known to totally work myself up into such a scared state...it's laughable. (Not that I'm laughing at you.)

But instead of going to my parents, I would've made them come to me.

Perhaps next time, you'll join them and come along. We'd love to see YOU as well.

Alisha said...

You're not a baby.

Why do you think I call my Dad everytime Eric travels and I have to sleep by myself. There is something about calling him that helps me to fall asleep. It also helps that I am lying in bed with the light off so as soon as I hang up the phone I can fall asleep.

Anonymous said...

Jessica, that gun won't help you in the event of a robot attack (which is most likely the root of the thumping sound). Get yourself a good 2-pound roofing hammer and aim for the sensors on the robot's head. Also, find yourself a good robot attack insurance policy just in case. Eric

Jessica and Tom said...

Thanks for the tip Eric. Maybe I'll get Tom a roofing hammer for Father's day. Then he can think I was being so wonderful to buy him tools, instead I was buying myself a little security.