So Whitney was put into a class called Discovery at school. Apparently it is for kids that are already reading. I don't know much about the program because they only sent a small note home stating that she will participate in the class once a week. The goal of the class is to help challenge these kids. (I am not trying to be a bragging parent it is important to the rest of the story. But she is brilliant!) Anyway, yesterday after school she was sitting at the kitchen table coloring and singing a song about being smarter than all the other kids. Our conversation went as follows:
Me: Whit, you are very smart, but it probably isn't a good idea to tell the other kids that you are smarter.
Whit: Why?
Me: Because people don't like to hear it.
Whit: But, I'm think 'n' it in my brain!
Me: Okay, just don't say it out loud.
Really, how do you respond to that one? Maybe the key is knowing what to say out loud and what not to say. We have been working on this with physical aspects. Someone may have big ears but we don't need to point it out. The person in front of us in line at WalMart may be smelly, but we don't say anything. It is now time to transfer that over into the intellectual sphere. After all, I think in my brain that I am smarter, better looking, funnier.... Oh wait, did I just say that out loud?
****UPDATE****
For those that expressed concern. The song she was singing she made up herself, and yes I did tell her it wasn't nice!
1 comment:
Whit can tell Ryan she is smarter than he is...because what else are younger siblings for, other than to torture and tease?
I am NOT bitter.
Post a Comment