Audrey,
Considering you grew up in Utah and your parents are both from Idaho I am surprised that you do not know about scripture cookies. Or maybe your mom was just smart enough not to tackle such a project with 6 little ones! It was challenging with just 2! I got this particular recipe out of the Friend magazine March 2010 issue pg 13. Enjoy!!
Find each ingredient by looking up the scripture reference and filling in the blank.
1/2 cup "When I washed my steps with _____."( Job 29:6)
3/4 cup "To what purpose cometh there to me..., the ____ from a far country."(Jeremiah 6:20)
1 "As one gathereth ____ that are left have I gathered all the earth" (2 Nephi 20:14)
1/2 teaspoon "Spices for anointing _____ and for the ____ incense" (Exodus 35:8)
1 3/4 cups "And thou shalt take fine ____, and bake twelve cakes therof" (Leviticus 24:5)
3/4 teaspoon "a little ____ leaveneth the whole lump" (Galatians 5:9)
1/4 Teaspoon "Ye are the _____ of the earth" (Matthew 5:13)
1 cup "Their root is ____up, they shall bear no _____" (Hosea 9:16)
Preheat oven to 400 F. Mix first four ingredients together. Mix in remaining ingredients. roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Flatten balls with fork, first one way and then the other, making a crisscross pattern. Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
All but one of these is pretty self explanatory but here are the answers anyway. 1/2 c butter, 3/4 c sugar, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp lemon oil or extract (I used orange because I like it better.) 1 3/4 c flour, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 cup dried fruit (cherries cranberries, mangoes or apricots.)
This next recipe is at request of Carolyn. Last night she came over for dinner and it happened to be an experiment night (ie. I need to go the the grocery store but I don't want to night.) So this is what I came up with. I call it Mexican Stove Top Lasagna.
1 lb hamburger
1/4 onion
garlic powder
cumin
celery salt
salt and pepper
1 can cream style corn
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can diced green chilies
1 can sliced olives
1 can tomato sauce
1 can enchilada sauce
lasagna noodles
1 cup montery jack and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
in a large skillet brown hamburger and onion. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin and celery salt. (I didn't measure but here they are in order of greatest to least cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, celery salt.) When meat is cooked dump the other ingredients in the pan. break lasagna noodles and add to the mixture. Bring to a boil, simmer until noodles are done and most liquid has evaporated. When noodles are done sprinkle with cheese, cover and let it melt. Serves 6.
I used 5 lasagna noodles because that is what I had, but I think it would be better with 8-10 noodles. Also, if you use regular kernal corn drain it first because you will have too much water.
This recipe got raving reviews from Carolyn, Whitney, Jean and me. Whitney said it was her favorite kind of lasagna. Given that I am overlooking Tom's moderate review because there were 4 out of 5 that loved it.
1 comment:
Thanks Jess! I shall surely give them a try. With kael anad Jaden being older, they'd like it.
Mexican lasagna? Totally going to try that!
Post a Comment