Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy Groundhog's Day


Of all the holidays I think Groundhog's day is the most ridiculous! And it gets more ridiculous every time I try to explain it to an exchange student. I have a few points I would like to make about the holiday.

1. Do you every really remember how it works!! It is supposed to be that if the ground hog doesn't see his shadow then it is going to be an early spring. But doesn't it make more sense to have an early spring if the ground hog sees his shadow, since the sun is shining?! This always makes me confused.
2. Do we really know what is going on in Phil's little mind? So really is it whether the ground hog sees his shadow or the crazy people that gather around a groundhog see his shadow. Which is it really?
3. Our country is quite large and I just don't think that a groundhog on the east coast can predict the weather for the entire country. In fact his success record is only about 37%.
4. I think it is just an excuse to get out the old top hat even though it is not Halloween.
5. I can never remember if groundhog is one word or two, ground hog! They both seem to work.
6. If the hypothesis of the beginning of groundhog's day is correct. That this was a way to help us with conflicting traditions with the changes from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar. That is that some people believe spring happens when daylight first starts making progress against the night and others believe it isn't until daylight overtakes the night. So really it has everything to do with the sun and nothing to do with the groundhog!
7. Last, but definitely not least, where I'm from we shoot groundhogs!

No comments: