What took me there this year opposed to the other 25 possible times I could have gone? Whitney's singing group was in the parade. As far as parades go this was a great parade for a 4 year old to be in because it is so short. Shortly after the start of the parade it started to downpour and I mean downpour for a good 15 minutes (not to worry I sent her with an umbrella). There I was trying to hold an umbrella and a baby and I missed the best photo opportunity of a life time. No it was not Whitney's float, it was the Miss Russet Pageant float. Miss Russet her 1st and 2nd place runners up and then the rest of the contestants (well, I'm just assuming it was the rest of them it is not a very large town and I can't imagine that many girls participating in the pageant) all soaking wet. Miss Russet was standing there in her lovely gown drenched with makeup smeared and hair soggy waving to the crowd and smiling. At least two other girls were standing as well, but the best part were the girls that were sitting huddled together at the back of the float trying to stay warm in the cold rain sharing one tiny little jacket and not a smile to be found. It's no wonder they didn't win letting a little rain ruin their spirits and cause them to lose their smiles and poise in front of a crowd. What a shame! This made the trip totally worth it and I would commit to go every year if I could see this same scene each time!
Despite the rain Whitney had a great time. She was at the end of the parade so by the time she got to us it had stopped raining. My favorite part was when she saw me in the crowd. She stopped what she was doing to scream mom and wave at me. I love four - year -olds! They always make you feel loved.
2 comments:
Don't worry Jess, I've lived close by there all of my young life 0-18 and to my knowledge never been to Spud Day. We even lived 2 1/2 miles from this celebration after we were married with kids and I don't think we went to it. How pathetic is that.
I'm glad that Whitney got to participate in the parade and I see that she still has her smile on after the rain. Maybe we'll have to join you next year for this important Idaho event.
Love you all! Lewis Grandma
SPUD DAY??? I grew up in Idaho Falls. I got married and moved to Pocatello. Then I moved back to I.F. and I haven't even heard of this delightful event. You gotta get me in the loop on this for next year. Maybe I could even run for Miss Spud?
Post a Comment