Saturday, June 20, 2009

Racers

Audrey planted a seed in Tom. Ever since he saw her blogging about her running he has been pretty faithful in running most nights of the week. I have gone with him twice and I must say I need more practice because I was dying. I only made it one mile before I had to slow down!! Pride did get the better of me when we got out of the neighborhood and I did run again for another half mile on the busy street. (I couldn't look like a wimp.) He signed up for our local 5K for this weekend and signed up Whitney for the 1 mile kid run. Tom's time was 26:59.

Whitney's race wasn't timed but she did an excellent job. I ran with her and she didn't stop she kept going the entire time. I am so proud of her. She was really close to wanting to walk but just as she was about to ask me to stop Grandpa was around the corner to cheer her on. This was all she needed and she kept on going to the finish line. (I am pretty sure there was more cheering going on at this finish line than the adult event.) Whit is so proud of her metal. She says she plans on getting more.

Note: It is much easier to run a mile at Whitney's pace than it is to run at Tom's. By the end of the summer I shouldn't have a problem keeping up with him. At least that is the goal.



















You can see Tom sporting his Father's Day gift. A new black running shirt and a pedometer. (Both Whitney's ideas. She is so clever and I thought this was a great idea so we didn't repeat last weeks running outfit.)




I can't leave this post without mentioning how much Ryan likes to run with his dad. He doesn't look necessarily happy in this picture but that is because it was freezing when they got started. Ryan likes to watch things zip past him. This is way better than walking briskly with Mom. He was a trooper and it is a good thing too. With the way Tom has been lately Ryan might find himself in the jogger a bit more often.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

Awesome time tom!!! Very cool. And you look awfully stealer in all that black.

Whitney I'm so proud of you! Someday you'll be really fast like your daddy and mommy.

Jess, so does this mean you'll do a 5k by the end of the summer?

GrandMOM said...

As a mother watching you kids run in soccer, cross country and track, I never dreamed that it would expand to this ... quickly becoming a whole family affair.
I am so proud of you all for doing what you are doing. Great job everybody. Whitney, I am so proud of you - YOU DID GREAT. Ryan's future is bound to be this event also. Jess, you make me laugh about your having to put on a good impression on the busy street...but whatever keeps you going...if it works?
Tom you'll have to plan the majority of you training on busy streets now that you know what drives Jessica on!!!ha ha ha
Love you all!
Grandma Kristy

Alisha said...

Keep it up Tom and maybe you can keep up with your little sister....

I can't believe Whitney ran a mile. That is awesome!

Somedays I wish I was riding in the jogger.

Head Over Hills said...

I can't believe I happened upon your blog. your kids are darling. And getting so big! My blog is private, but send me an email if your interested and I'll send you an invite.

Jessica W
thesweetones3@yahoo.com