Mrs. Paul was my 7th grade English teacher and every day she wore a dress, nylons, and tennis shoes. When Whit came out in this outfit I was immediately reminded of her and an entire year of diagramming sentences. That was so useful to learn since I use it all the time. Right now I am looking at these sentences and breaking them down. I am identifying the verbs, nouns, pronouns, adverbs, adjectives, etc. I would hate to use an adverb in place of an adjective. It is terribly embarrassing to screw up. The English language can be such a bugger, if you know what I mean! No really it was good to learn, I know the difference between borrow and lend which seems to be tough for many people and I can correctly conjugate verbs, even the irregular verbs.
This last week I decided I would read A Tale of Two Cities again. I read it in 10th grade and remembered enjoying it. All I remembered about the book was that two people looked alike, there was a grave robber, and a lot of knitting going on. Other than that my memory was pretty blank. As I read the book I kept thinking to myself that either 12 years had clouded my memory or I just didn't understand it the first time. I did enjoy it and in another 12 years I should be able to remember much more of the plot since I know I understood it this time. The other book that I really enjoyed that year was The Count of Monte Cristo. I'll have to read this one again and use it as a benchmark for whether time or just my lack of understanding was the cause of my memory lapse.
2 comments:
Thanks for the flood of Mrs. Paul's memories! Nylons and tennis shoes...yikes! Why was she not represented in any of the High School Musicals?
Well since this post was about grammar and no spelling I won't tell you that you mispelled embarrasing...
Post a Comment